Health and Safety Representative (HSR) Basic Training
A Health and Safety Representative (HSR) is required in most Ontario workplaces that employ 6-19 workers. Health and Safety Representative has a crucial role in helping improve safety in the workplace.
This one-day, basic training e-course provides your Health and Safety Representative with necessary knowledge that they need to perform their legislative functions. Eligible small businesses can apply for reimbursement.
Price per person: $25.00 (See below for Reimbursement options)
The HSR eLearning basic training program covers the following topics:
- occupational health and safety law
- rights, duties and responsibilities of the workplace parties
- duties and responsibilities of the HSR under the OHSA
- common workplace hazards
- hazard recognition, assessment, control, and evaluation (RACE methodology) of hazard controls
- applying the RACE methodology (recognize, assess, control and evaluate) to a workplace hazard
- health and safety resources available to the workplace parties
Small businesses can apply to be reimbursed for HSR training cost through Ontario’s Small Business Health and Safety Training Program.
This program will cover the cost for up to:
- $25 course registration fee for the HSR
- $150 towards the HSR’s training time
That is up to $175.00 money back to your company for your Health and Safety Representative to get trained!
To qualify for the reimbursement, a business must:
- Regularly employ 6-19 employees or have a health and safety representative in other circumstances
- have a Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) number
- keep a copy of the HSR training certificate of completion
For more information about Health and Safety Representatives and the Small Business Health and Safety Training Program, please visit ontario.ca/healthsafetyreps
To apply for the reimbursement, the employer must fill out and submit the Small Business Health and Safety Training Program form: https://www.app.grants.gov.on.ca/sbhstp
See the message from Ontario Chief Prevention Officer on Small Business Health and Safety Representative Training: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z7YoFfs0jw
Businesses can apply up to two times, with a second allowance permitted for staff turnover. Franchises of the same corporation with unique business numbers are also eligible for funding.
IMPORTANT: Please save the certificate of completion upon completion of the course. Employers will need this certificate to claim reimbursements.
Price: $25.00 per person
Buy Single Seat
For the purpose of processing and validating an application for reimbursement under the Small Business Health & Safety Training Program the name of the individual taking the health and safety representative training and their email will be disclosed to the Ministry of Labour, Immigration, Training and Skills Development.
By proceeding with purchasing or registering for this course, you hereby consent to the collection and processing of information, as applicable, by the Ministry and its third-party service providers for the purposes set out above.
Any questions about the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information for the Small Business Health and Safety Training Program can be directed to the Training and Awareness Branch, Prevention Division, Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development by email at PreventionFeedback@ontario.ca or by phone at 1-416-212-9871.